Amanda85

Amanda's Blog

Duncan (Vampires in America, #5)
D.B. Reynolds

The Loneliest Alpha (The MacKellen Alphas, #1)

The Loneliest Alpha (The MacKellen Alphas, #1) - T.A. Grey 3.5 stars

I'm a bit conflicted with my rating for this. I'm an absolutely sucker for Beauty and the Beast storyline, therefore during the first half of the book when the hero tried to hide his face from the heroine and dealing with his insecurities, I was totally sold. It was really that good, the kind that my lady parts tingle and warm. But during the second half, after everything was lay on the table, the story started to lose a bit of steam.

description

Alicia, a lingerie designer was kidnap by her own Pack to be deliver to Gavin, the Alpha of Oregon to be his mate. For once, we have a heroine that doesn't kickass and is kind of refreshing in a way. Though she did had a bold and no-nonsense attitude in dealing with the mysteries Gavin. The man who hide his face from her. I was speechless during her many attempts to steal a glance at the man.

Gavin had lost his confident in dealing with women after being disfigured during the night he became the alpha. When Alicia was brought to him, he knew he wanted her. The way he tried to befriend her and get to know her without revealing his face makes me felt all mushy inside. Who knew a shy guy can turn me on.

After a failed attempt at escaping, Alicia and Gavin strike up a deal for her to stay for one month to allow them to get to know each other better. After that she can decide either to stay to mate with him or go back to her Pack. Soon Alicia learned to see the man hidden behind his scarred face.

The romance department was very well done, the slow burning and yearning, the sexual tension in the beginning. At the same time, we have a mystery subplot of dead children, the truth behind Gavin's disfigurement and Alicia's constant accident. However, I find this subplot was kind of weak and I don't feel invested in the mystery. Mostly because the investigation work was done by Hart, Gavin's brother, instead of Gavin himself.

Although it is label as paranormal/shapeshifter, this book felt contemporary to me. First of all Alicia is a lingerie designer and Gavin had some sort of construction business. It seems like everyone in the Pack had a day job. Second of all, there isn't any mentioned of them shifting, even during the end battle.

Another thing that felt out of place is Hannah, Gavin's sister POV. There was mentioned of her issue with her scum of a husband, Tom and the ensuing romance with Alex Thompson. Hannah's POV just didn't connect with the grand scheme of things that was happening between Gavin and Alicia. I can see that T. A. Grey is trying to tease us with Hannah's story for the next book. However, I felt that these information should be told from either Gavin's or Alicia's POV instead.

Overall I still feel that this is a pretty good read for the romance itself. Especially those who loves Beauty and the Beast kind of storyline. Both hero and heroine are likable characters. We also get to know the rest of the MacKellen clan that each had their own unique personality. I had a little crush on the grumpy Jo and can't wait to read his story.