Amanda85

Amanda's Blog

Duncan (Vampires in America, #5)
D.B. Reynolds

Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #1)

Captive in the Dark - C.J. Roberts 5 'Darkly provocative' stars

I guess if I were to read this during the time when this book came out in 2011, I would have DNF and label it as something sickly disturbing. But after desensitized myself with much kinkier stuff recently, I felt that Captive in the Dark is not as difficult to stomach as I assume it would be. If you are use to read about dark erotica, this book is consider mild IMO.

The story was characters driven and plot wise there isn't much happening. Yet, I felt drawn toward both Olivia and Caleb's mind. Their relationship undergone a shift as the story progress. Olivia was a strong and admirable heroine, she was a survivor and she never did stop fighting. When I thought that she was undergoing Stockholm's Syndrome, she did questioned herself repeatedly. Whenever Caleb showed his caring side, her became confused and unsure. On the other hand, she never give up hope of one day escaping her fate.

CJ Roberts created two very three dimensional characters with a lot of depths that we came to care about. Both Olivia and Caleb had a very different yet similar childhood that shape what they were today. Caleb was an enigma that we desperate wanted to crack. We get some glimpses into his childhood and how he felt indebted to his savior/mentor, Rafiq. The things he had done in order to break Olivia and trained her to be a submissive slave should have made me despise and hate him. When I didn't, I wanted to question my own sanity. Yeah, CJ Roberts makes me considering the white jacket.

What make the situation easy for me to go through was the fact that we have Caleb's POV. We can see that he was not a purely sadistic bastard that inflict pain on others for him own enjoyment. He had a task at hand, which was to trained Olivia to be use as Rafiq's revenge tool. I agree with what Olivia conclude from Caleb's action, he shown her mercy. I admit that he manipulate her to submit, yet he didn't force her like a rapist would. I'm not sure what to say about my state of mind because I hardly find any scene disturbing that I wouldn't want to reread it again.

We were still unsure of the grand scheme of things that was happening and many questions were left unanswered. We can see that Caleb absolute decision starting to waver. Will he go through with the plan and give up Olivia to Rafiq? Or will he grant Olivia the freedom she crave? I'm looking forward to Book 2 Seduced in the Dark to find out how things are going to be resolve for Caleb and Olivia.

"He was my tormentor and my solace; the creator of the dark and the light within."